If you are planning to travel to Europe on a Schengen visa, it is mandatory for you to buy a Schengen visa travel health insurance plan. A Schengen visa allows you to travel to Europe for studies or to conduct business in the European Union. Everyone may have different health insurance needs and hence we have compiled a list of the best Schengen visa travel insurance providers.
Why is Travel Insurance required for Schengen Visa?
- If you are travelling to any of the Schengen countries, it becomes crucial to obtain a Schengen visa travel insurance so that you can safeguard yourself and your finances from the high costs if anything goes wrong.
- A Schengen vis travel insurance covers expenses related to any medical emergency that may arise during your trip
- It will also cover you for any event that impacts your trip negatively such as baggage loss, trip cancellation, flight delay, or lost passport
- Most Schengen visa travel insurance plans also cover Covid-19-related expenses since the threat of Covid-19 has not disappeared entirely. It is best to keep yourself safe from this pandemic scare and if you find yourself in a situation where you need to be repatriated, then it will cover the repatriation costs as well.
Requirements for Schengen Visa Insurance
To obtain a Schengen visa travel medical insurance, you need to fulfil the following requirements:
- A minimum of EUR 30,000 worth of coverage for medical and accidental emergencies. The cost of healthcare in Europe is high and because of this, it is necessary to have emergency medical coverage in a Schengen visa travel health insurance. The insurance will cover your medical fees for everything including an injury or infection.
- Repatriation fee coverage in the case of an untimely death or medical accident in such a scenario, you will have to be transported back to your home nation which can be quite expensive affair. Repatriation coverage safeguards the families of travellers as the transportation fees will be covered by the insurance plan itself.
- Insurance coverage in all 26 countries of the Schengen area covers the entire duration of the trip, even though you may not be planning to visit each of the 26 countries. Most Schengen visa insurance companies allow customers to choose Europe as the coverage area instead of choosing specific countries.
Best Schengen Visa Travel Insurance Providers
Below is a list of the best travel insurance providers for a Schengen visa:
World Nomads is a reliable yet cheap insurance option for Schengen visa travel to Europe. The Standard plan comes at an affordable price and covers repatriation in addition to over EUR 30,000 in emergency medical coverage. There is an option to select either the Schengen area or Europe as the coverage area which makes it ideal for Schengen visa travel medical insurance. Another benefit is that it also provides COVID-19 coverage. The only con is that you will have to file a claim with World Nomads to get reimbursed for your medical expenses.
Travelex is a highly dependable Schengen visa insurance as it covers the entire Europe and not just the Schengen area. Hence, it is a great option for a multi-stop vacation in Europe. The Select plan covers baggage loss, evacuation and repatriation, trip cancellation coverage, and all this while meeting all insurance requirements for obtaining a Schengen visa. A main drawback of the Select plan is that while it is the most expensive plan, the medical expenses coverage provided is among the lowest. You can get a better coverage for a lower price with other insurance providers.
Heymondo is considered one of the best travel insurance providers for obtaining a Schengen visa as their Top plan offers the maximum coverage amount for emergency medical expenses, baggage loss, and trip cancellation. It is also the only European travel insurance plan that pays for your medical expenses instead of paying by yourself and then filing a claim to get reimbursed. The repatriation coverage is either in line with other providers or more than what is offered by them, the only exception being WorldTrips. Lastly, the Top plan is also the cheapest Schengen visa travel insurance plan and it meets all the insurance requirements for obtaining a Schengen visa.
IMG is by far the best choice for comprehensive health insurance coverage for European travel. Their iTravelInsured Travel SE plan provides a high amount of evacuation, repatriation, and emergency medical coverage. The coverage also includes travel-related claims such as baggage loss and trip cancellation. All this is available to travellers at a highly affordable price which makes IMG one of the best Schengen visa travel insurance providers.
WorldTrips is one of the best travel insurance plans for European travel that also meets the Schengen visa requirements in its entirety. The Preferred plan offered by WorldTrips has excellent coverage in addition to the highest amount of repatriation and evacuation coverage. The emergency medical coverage amount is US $100,000 which makes it a very lucrative option. This also makes it quite an expensive Schengen visa travel medical insurance plan.
We have also compiled the data into a comparison table for you to be able to understand the plans better:
Now you know why travel insurance is must for obtaining a Schengen visa and which are the best Schengen visa travel insurance providers to be considered for your upcoming Europe or Schengen area trip.