The passport renewal process can feel daunting. But, it doesn’t have to. While it’s not quite “simple” (is anything with the U.S. government?), it’s actually pretty straightforward. You just need to understand the required paperwork, the costs involved, and — above all else — exercise a little patience. Here’s the low-down …
Passport Renewal for U.S. / American Travelers
Before Renewing Your Passport: Guidelines & Considerations
A good rule of thumb is to always ensure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the date you enter a foreign country. In the event that there are any issues with overstaying your welcome (or your visa), this provides a bit of “cushion.” This isn’t true for every country, but it’s a safe bet that I personally swear by. So, if the expiration date on your passport is less than six months away, now is a good time to renew. Especially if you’re eyeing any upcoming trips.
Be warned that any travel visa(s) currently attached to your passport will be voided, so plan your trip accordingly.
Step #1: Get the Correct Passport Renewal Forms & Documentation
Like all things with the federal government, make sure you’re starting with the correct forms. If you’re applying for passport renewal by mail, the form you want is Form DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals (PDF).
If you’re applying in person (much easier since the clerk can verify you have all the correct paperwork), however, you’ll need Form DS-11. You’ll also need this same form in any of these cases:
- This is is your first passport
- Your last passport was lost or stolen
- Your previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago
- Your last passport was issued prior to age 16
You’ll Also Need …
- Your old passport
- The appropriate passport renewal fee (see below)
- An envelope and stamps if renewing by mail
All applicants, whether renewing their passport or applying for a new one, also need two color passport-sized photos that meet these requirements:
- They must not be more than 6 months old
- They must be taken in front of a plain white background
- You cannot be wearing glasses or sunglasses
- No touchup software (i.e. Photoshopping or Snapchat) is allowed
- You can only smile “naturally” or not at all
- No selfies allowed
- The photos must be in pristine condition (no folds, stains, or tears)
These are available at most convenience stores, pharmacies, or photography stores. Here in the United States, AAA also offers passport photography services to members.
Because you’ll need to temporarily surrender your existing passport, that means you won’t be able to travel internationally while your passport renewal is being processed. You can, however, get a second U.S. passport assuming you qualify. If you frequently travel internationally, this is a great option that will allow you to continue to travel while your passport renewal is being processed.
Step #2: Renew Your Passport
Regardless of whether you choose to renew your passport at the post office or by mail, it’s a good idea to photocopy or take photos of all your documents. This is especially true for any original documents like your existing passport and proof-of-citizenship papers.
Online Passport Renewal
If you were hoping to renew your passport online, sadly, you’re out of luck. You can fill out the appropriate renewal form online. But it will still need to be printed, then mailed or submitted in person.
Passport Renewal at the Post Office (In-Person)
If it’s an option for you, renewing your passport in-person is almost always the best way to go. You’ll find passport renewal services at your local post office or at any official passport acceptance facility. This helps minimize transit times to mail your documents and allows you to ask the post office staff any last-minute questions you have before submitting your renewal application.
Passport Renewal By Mail
Renewing your passport by mail typically takes a few days longer. Only checks or money orders are accepted as payment; credit cards are not an option.
A few things to note before mailing in your forms:
- Use a trackable delivery method like USPS Priority Mail or Certified Mail.
- Use a larger envelope that can accommodate all of your paperwork without folding.
- There are different mailing addresses for normal (non-expedited) and expedited services. Be sure to address the envelope to the correct address:
(if you live in California, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, or Texas)
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155
(if you live in any other state or Canada)
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
Expedited Services (for all applicants — write EXPEDITE on the outside of the envelope):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955
How Much Does It Cost to Renew a Passport?
Whether in-person or by mail, renewing an adult passport book costs a flat USD $110. For expedited renewal, there is an additional $60 fee plus any additional expedited shipping charges (around $15).
You can score an optional passport card for $30. However, this can be only be used as identification for some domestic travel by air, and travel by land/sea in Canada, Bermuda, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Just to be sure: while it’s a good backup, a passport card cannot be used to substitute a passport for air travel.
Step #3: Hurry Up and Wait … (But, Seriously, How Long Does It Take?)
The wait to receive your renewed passport can feel excruciating, especially if you’re itching to travel right now. But the federal government usually turns around passport applications fairly quickly. In general:
- Standard passport renewals: 4-6 weeks
- Expedited passport renewals: 3 weeks
- Third-party passport agency: Usually 7 business days or less
These can change based on several factors, including the time of year, how busy the government is, and whether your application requires additional processing or scrutiny.
If you require guaranteed expedited service, there are third-party passport renewal services that can handle the entire process for you with lightning fast turnaround.
Bestseller No. 1
Passport and Vaccine Card Holder Combo, Passport Holder with Vaccine Card Slot, Passport Wallet, Passport Cover, Passport Case, Passport Holder for Women and Men (AA-Black)
- 【Multipurpose】There are 2 pockets in the passport case: the clear pocket is for your vaccination card and the other one is for your passport.
- 【Size】5.6”x 4”(L x W) Lightweight and compact design, Our passport vaccine card holder will not add unnecessary bulk or weight, you can also put it into your bags or large pockets on your coat, ideal for traveling or business trips.
- 【Easy to Show】Our passport holder and vaccine card holder has been custom-made to perfectly fit both your passport and vaccine card. Keep all your essential travel documents clean, organized, and safe in one place. Allows you to quickly access your travel paperwork and display CDC vaccination card when needed.
SaleBestseller No. 2
WALNEW RFID Passport Holder Cover Traveling Passport Case
- High Quality Material: PU leather exterior and interior. Passport fits snugly into the pocket, providing a comfortable feeling and protection from dust and abrasions
- Security Protective Passport Cover: RFID blocking shield material inside, this RFID Blocking Holder helps prevent personal account information disclosure. Comes with an elastic strap which can secure items inside, passport cover will not open in your bag
- Practical Organizer Case: This passport and vaccine card holder combo has extra slots to hold CDC vaccine cards (both 4”x3” and 4.25”x3.5” compatible), business cards, credit cards, boarding passes sufficiently, two SIM slots for SIM cards, a pen slot for pen. Allows convenient access to information during boarding and transit
SaleBestseller No. 3
Passport Holder,Passport and Vaccine Card Holder Combo,Passport Holder With Vaccine Card Slot,Passport Case,Passport Cover,Pink Passport Holder,Passport Book,Passport Wallet for Women and Men
- 【Size】: 5.7 inches x 4.13 inches (L x W). Weight: 1.4 oz. It is suitable for US passports, in addition, it can hold receipts, Cdc vaccine cards, credit cards, cash, airline tickets or boarding passes.If you take a cruise, it will be your best travel essentials.
- 【Material】: Made of leather, the fabric is waterproof, stain-resistant, and easy to clean, and the texture is fine, smooth, and wrinkle-free.
- 【Ultra-thin】: This ultra-thin passport holder has a vaccine card slot, and the lightweight and ultra-thin design will not add unnecessary bulk or weight.
Bestseller No. 4
Melsbrinna Premium Leather Passport Holder Covers Case, Waterproof Rfid Blocking Travel Wallet Passport Holder with Pen Holder, Cute Passport Book for Women/Men (Greyish green)
- Practical Passport Wallet – The wallet measures 5.9″ x 3.9″ x 0.6″ inches, apart from hold a passport, the passport cover is also a travel wallet, it can store document, receipt, credit card,pen, cash, ticket or boarding pass.
- Soft PU Leather – The material is durable and well sewn. As our pictures show that beautiful, slim, light and waterproof passport holders for women/men are ideal to protect your passport wherever you travel.
- Portable Travel Accessories – This wallet is only 0.18 lb, it doesn’t put extra weight on the trip, accord with convenient travel.Melsbrinna passport wallet also a great gift for friends, your family or relatives who loving traveling.
Last updated: 2022-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The post Passport Renewal: Everything American Travelers Need to Know appeared first on Vagabondish.